Popular Posts

Manufactured Snow


If you were paying close attention to Monday's post, you might have noticed the mention of a 'holiday party at your realtor's house' as a possible San Francisco event that one might have to dress up for. Well, Mark and I attended just such an event the weekend before last, and knowing that our realtor has a gorgeous, 4-level Victorian house and is also one of the top realtors in the city, I figured the party would be a swanky one and therefore decided to wear one of my most formal dresses. I was not mistaken in my choice; the party was definitely a high class event, with a sumptuous array of food, 2 bands, and even a machine that blew snow from the second floor window down onto the front porch. Yes, it's true -- if we want snow here in San Francisco we have to manufacture it ourselves. Not being a big fan of snow myself, I really prefer this approach.

The dress I wore is from the 1930's and is one I found in a vintage store many years ago. I'm assuming it was handmade, since it has no tags of any kind. And actually it seems like it was handmade specifically for ME, so perfect is the fit.

Speaking of perfectly-fitted dresses, back in 2000 when I bought this one I was also fortunate enough to try on an amazing 1930's gown that had been worn by Myrna Loy. Myrna Loy! One of my all-time favorite actresses! It was a black, long-sleeved gown with a cascade of huge silver stars that ran across the fitted bodice and trailed diagonally all the way to the bottom of the flared, floor length skirt. It was magnificent, truly magnificent, and in a tragic case of non-buyer's remorse, I passed it up because it was fancier than I imagined I would ever need, and it cost $1200. But I have to tell you, if I had it to do over again I'd spend double or even triple that amount to own that amazing dress, even if it meant eating nothing but ramen noodles for several months. It fit me so perfectly, and the fact that it had been owned by the great Myrna Loy made it so very special, that I'll forever regret the decision to let it go. Needless to say, if I ever come across an item that special again, I'll do whatever it takes to make it mine.

I figured this was a good outfit to end my regular posting for the year with; tomorrow my company begins its holiday shutdown, and I won't return to work until January 3. There may be a post or two thrown in over the break if I get around to it, but I'm planning on mostly taking a rest from blogging as well as work. Mark and I are staying in town this year rather than the usual escape to Mexico, but we have some exciting things planned that I'll tell you about later. In the meantime, here's wishing you and your loved ones a wonderful holiday!

I'll leave you with some images of the stunning Myrna Loy. Who, apparently, wore the same dress size as me. It's not as good as owning the actual dress, but hey, it's something!


No comments:

Post a Comment