Popular Posts

Bullet-Proof


I've had this vintage cardigan for a long time, but it doesn't come out very often because it requires a particularly cold day in order for it to be comfortable. The reason is that the fabric is astoundingly dense, and I'm pretty certain I know the reason why.

I can tell you the tragic history of this little cardigan as surely as if I was there to witness it myself. Originally purchased in a much larger size, the sweater's heartbroken owner removed it from the dryer (perhaps it was carelessly thrown in there by a well-meaning but unwitting spouse) only to find that it had shrunk considerably and was no longer wearable. Well, it wasn't for her, anyway. It had decreased by at least two sizes and the sleeves were now hopelessly short. There was only one thing to do; donate it to the Goodwill and hope that someone else who fit it didn't care about the 3/4 length sleeves, or else had really short arms. And that that person lived somewhere cold enough to warrant a nearly bullet-proof knit sweater.

You can see for yourself how well the size and the sleeve length worked out for me; 3/4 sleeves are my favorite and although in the sweater's time they probably didn't look right, to my modern eye they're perfect. But the undue warmth is still a bit of a challenge here in mild San Francisco, so I have to bide my time until an exceptionally chilly day comes along. If I'm lucky I might get one more wear out of the sweater before the season is out, but that's okay; I can always take it with me traveling... if I decide to go on an expedition to Patagonia in winter.

Cardigan: vintage
Necklace: Dana LeBlanc Designs
Dress: eShakti
Belt: Red Dress Shoppe
Shoes: John Fluevog

No comments:

Post a Comment